Dental Exams & Cleanings
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by one of our experienced Boston dentists at your initial visit. At regular check-up exams with your dentist and hygienist, you can expect the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays: Dental X-rays help determine tooth and root positions and are essential for the detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss.
- Oral cancer screening: We check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: We check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: We check current fillings, crowns, and other dental restorations to ensure there are no problems requiring repair or replacement.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings are performed by our registered Boston dental hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is the hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for a while and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame the gums and this inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: Cleaning appointments conclude with teeth polishing to remove stains and plaque that are not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.